Your safety is the most important thing when it comes to household electricals. High bills, flickering lights and damage to appliances are all signs of an electrical problem in your home. You can identify the problem and determine the best solution.
Table Of Contents
- 1 FREQUENT ELECTRICAL SURGES
- 2 SAGS AND DIPS IN POWER
- 3 LIGHT SWITCHES ARE NOT WORKING PROPERLY
- 4 Looking for electrical safety tips to help your home?
- 5 CIRCUIT BREAKING TRIPPING FREQUENTLY
- 6 CIRCUIT OVERLOAD
- 7 LIGHTS ARE TOO BRIGHT / DIM
- 8 ELECTRICAL SHOCKS
- 9 HIGH ELECTRICAL BILL
- 10 LIGHT BULBS BURNING OUT WAY TO OFTEN
- 11 THE RECESSED LIGHT ‘GOES OUT’ AND COMES BACK ON
- 12 Examine for excess heat
- 13 WHAT TO DO IF PROBLEMS PERSIST?
FREQUENT ELECTRICAL SURGES
Lightning strikes, power line damage, faulty appliances, and poor wiring can all cause electrical surges. Although an actual surge lasts only a few seconds, repeated surges can cause damage to electrical components in your home and reduce their lifespan.
If you are experiencing frequent electrical surges, it is likely that your electrical device or wiring is the problem. To see if the surges are prevented, remove any powerboards or devices that were made cheaply. If this fails, you might need to call a professional electrician.
SAGS AND DIPS IN POWER
As with electrical surges, sags or dips in electricity supply can often be attributed to devices that are defective or made from substandard materials and draw a lot when they turn on.
LIGHT SWITCHES ARE NOT WORKING PROPERLY
Poor workmanship and sub-standard products can often cause dimmers to not adjust the light correctly.
You might find that switches don’t work after you move into a new home. This could indicate that the fixtures have been removed or that the outlets, circuits, or wiring are defective. If you have problems with switches in your home, consult an electrician.
CIRCUIT BREAKING TRIPPING FREQUENTLY
Circuit breakers can be tripped by high-wattage appliances like hairdryers and microwaves, especially if other power-consuming items are connected to the same source. Circuit breakers are designed to protect your home and you. If it trips, it is a sign that it has done its job.
Take a look at the item you were using when it tripped. Try using the lowest setting if it was a hairdryer. Alternatively, reduce the electrical use on one circuit while high-wattage devices are being used.
Overloaded power boards are one of the leading causes of circuit breaker trips. Many homes and apartments don’t have enough power points, even older ones. Circuit overload could cause frequent trips in circuit breakers within your home. This can be prevented by:
- Never daisy-chain power board.
- Take out any devices, not in use. For example, chargers for phones still draw power when they aren’t connected.
- You should spread your electrical requirements around. Do not overload a single circuit.
- Pay attention to how devices are connected around your home. What’s being used and what’s not?
LIGHTS ARE TOO BRIGHT / DIM
Two possible causes may be at play if some lights in the house are too bright and others are dim.
- Different types of light with different wattages: Make sure all globes match.
- Bad main neutral connection: This can cause serious problems in your home and should be addressed by a professional.
An electric shock can be very unpleasant. They are milder than a static shock and remind us that electricity can be dangerous if it is not being used.
When you switch a device on or offline, electrical shocks are common. It could be the appliance itself or the wiring. However, you could try plugging in another device to see if it works. This will only give you an indication of the problem. It is better to consult an electrician in most cases.
HIGH ELECTRICAL BILL
You can reduce the cost of your electric bill by:
- Change to a cheaper provider
- Recognizing electrical devices that could be causing power surges
- Repairing hot water system leaks
- When not in use, unplug appliances and chargers
- Repairing damaged wiring and circuits
LIGHT BULBS BURNING OUT WAY TO OFTEN
There are many reasons why your lights might be going out too often.
- Too much Wattage
- Insulation is too close the light
- Bad wiring in the circuit
- Bad wiring in the mains
- Too much Wattage per switch on a dimmer is a problem
- Flickering is a sign of a bad connection.
Non-professionals may have difficulty identifying the problem. It might be worthwhile to contact an electrician if you are burning out light bulbs like a madman.
THE RECESSED LIGHT ‘GOES OUT’ AND COMES BACK ON
Recessed lighting, such as downlights, are equipped with safety devices to cut off power when the light gets too hot. Either the bulb is not being used at the right Wattage, or the insulation in the ceiling is too close.
Examine for excess heat
Every so often, check overhead lights:
- Are they generating excessive heat?
- How many watts is the circuit rated at?
- Are they properly insulated?
Overheated lighting can cause fire danger, so make sure to test it regularly.
WHAT TO DO IF PROBLEMS PERSIST?
You should contact an electrician if you have ongoing electrical problems around your home. It is important to ensure safety around your home. For safety and security, get in touch with a professional like your local OnElectrical Contractors in Brisbane Northside to diagnose any electrical problems at your home.